Freezing temps are on the way and now is the time to prepare your home. There are several things you can do to protect your pipes from freezing and possible bursting.
- Make sure all pipes outside the house are insulated.
- Check to see that pipes in unheated parts of your home (crawl and attic spaces, under cabinets) are insulated.
- Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and use insulated faucet covers to keep them from freezing.
- During prolonged freezes, open all cabinet doors that contain water pipes to allow heat to enter them. Relocate any toxic materials so children and pets cannot get to them.
- Let water drip (both hot & cold) from the faucets at a trickle.
- Keep extra water drawn up during freezing weather in case a main break or frozen pipe cuts off your water supply.
- Put the LCMUA On-Call Team phone number, 940-222-1988, in your contacts list and call us if you have an emergency during after-hours.